Japan Rail Pass for Japanese Passport Holders

Japan Rail Pass Eligibility

The Japan Rail Pass is a special offer for foreign tourists. Please be sure to check your eligibility before purchasing. Please make sure you meet all of the eligibility requirements, without exceptions or you will be unable to exchange and use the Japan Rail Pass in Japan.

  • Non-Japanese passport holders
    Foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad, under the entry status of "temporary visitor", up to 90 days stay with the Tourist Visa.
  • Japanese Passport Holders
    New eligibility requirements will be in effect from June 1, 2017. You must provide evidence you are legally living outside of Japan for 10+ consecutive years.

Acceptable Written Proof:
You can purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS Exchange Order only if you can present written proof of one of the following items.

  1. Copy of your Overseas Residential Registration issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to an Overseas Residential Registration with a date of acceptance at least 10 years earlier)
  2. Certificate of Overseas Residence issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to a Certificate of Overseas Residence dated at least 10 years earlier than the date the address was established as your present address)
  3. As a special case limited to the USA, Brazil, and Canada, the Permanent Resident Card issued by these countries can be used as written proof until further notice (limited to a Permanent Resident Card confirming your stay in the relevant country for 10+ years).

For more information, please click here.



*You will require Adobe Acrobat Reader